Do you need to improve your serve? I do and I bet every recreational player out there would say the same. In this episode of Tennis Quick Tips, I interview my very own tennis coach, Brian Montez, and get him to tell me the most common serving mistakes he sees with his students and what to do to correct them. You can listen to this episode by clicking on the media player above or by listening in with your favorite podcast app. You can also subscribe in iTunes by clicking on this link: tennisfixation.com/itunes.
I'm always working on my serve. Aren't we all? I think all tennis players are, no matter what level they play at. So I never get tired of talking about ways that I can improve my serve.
In this week's episode, I interview the person that actually taught me to serve. And is still teaching me how to make my serve even better. That person is my tennis coach, Brian Montez. Brian has been coaching tennis for over 17 years and working with me for the last 11. He teaches students at all levels, from beginners up through high-level club players. He works with kids and adults and actually convinced me to become a tennis coach and teach for him.
I always like talking to Brian about my game and about tennis in general. He's not only extremely knowledgable, but he explains things in a way that is easy to understand and to apply. So for this, our first interview (because I hope we'll do more!), I asked him about the serve. Specifically, I asked him what the most common serve mistakes are that he sees with recreational players that he teaches and how to correct them.
Listen in to this episode and you'll learn:
- Why your stance on the baseline is so important and what the most effective stance to take is (and how it makes everything else about your serve so much easier!)
- How to properly toss the ball so you get a consistent toss to work with for every serve
- Why having a plan and target for every serve is so important and just how to do it (pronation anyone?)
Let me know what you think about this episode in the comments below. I'd really like to know if you like the interview format and who you'd like to hear from in the future.
Now, for this week's Happy Tennis Month giveaway! I think this is one of the best giveaways I've ever done. To enter the giveaway, just click on the big blue button below. That will do three things for you:
- You'll get an instant download of my newly updated tip sheet – 10 “Quick Fixes” to Improve Your Serve: No Lessons Required. I've taken my ebook and turned it into this one page tip sheet that you can keep in your tennis bag so you can look these over before every match.
- You'll also be added to my weekly update email list where you'll get my tennis tips, including my podcast episodes, delivered to your inbox every week.
- You'll be entered into a drawing to win one of three paperback copies of my book “Real Tennis Tips for Real Tennis Players: Simple Tennis Tips to Help You Play Better Tennis Fast.”
So click on the big blue button below to get the Quick Fix download, to get on the email list and to be entered in the Real Tennis Tips giveaway!
RESOURCES AND LINKS:
If you want to learn more about Brian or get in touch with him, click on this link to visit his website: K-Factor Sports
SHARE, SUBSCRIBE AND REVIEW:
Thanks so much for listening and being a friend of the Tennis Quick Tips podcast. Please feel free to share this episode with your tennis pals by sending them to:
And I hope you'll consider leaving a review of the show as it really helps it to be found by other like-minded tennis players. You can listen in, subscribe or leave a review by going to:
- Tennis Quick Tips iTunes page
- Tennis Quick Tips Stitcher page
- Tennis Quick Tips Podcast RSS feed
- Tennis Quick Tips Podcast page
© Kim Selzman 2015 All Rights Reserved