As I said, I love tennis books and I truly love The Tennis Drill Book by Tina Hoskins-Burney and Lex Carrington. Now, you may be thinking, “I am not a tennis pro and I do not need a book full of tennis drills. But I think you're wrong about that.
I first came across this book when I purchased it as a gift for my tennis pro. It was sort of a joke. I had been complaining about doing the same drills over and over. And when I came across this book, I thought it would be funny to buy it for him since this book has 245 different tennis drills. So I thought I'd give it to my pro so we could do some new drills at last.
But, as I went through the book, I was surprised to find that it is not just a book for tennis pros. The book not only gives you some great drills to do on the court during lessons, but it also has helpful information like using the proper grips, how to hit better groundstrokes, how to hit better serves and returns, plenty of basic mechanics information. It has some group drills, but it also has some drills you can do by yourself. Like some wonderful backboard drills and serve drills, things you can do all by yourself.
My favorite part of this book is that it includes chapters on endurance training, which you know is a big thing with me. And on staying fit, it has a chapter on in-season maintenance, which has plenty of great exercises, specifically great for tennis players. And it even includes some mental drills and advice that you can put to use.
So, again, The Tennis Drill Book is great if you are a tennis pro and you are teaching and you are looking for some new games and things to do with your students. But even if you're not a pro, I think this is a fabulous book for individual tennis players who are looking to do things on their own. And I think it's a fabulous gift you could give to other tennis players in your life, young and old, experienced or new to the game.
This book is now in its second edition. I have the first edition that has 245 drills in it. But the second edition has 262 drills in it and I'm sure I'm going to be buying that edition as I want to get this extra 17 drills to help improve my game!
You can click on the image below if you would like to check out The Tennis Drill Book on Amazon:
RESOURCES AND LINKS FROM THIS EPISODE
I think books make a great holiday gift for your favorite tennis player. So here's a complete list of all of the tennis books I recommend and have reviewed on Tennis Quick Tips along with Amazon links to the books and links to the podcast episodes.
- Serve to Win: The 14-Day Gluten-Free Plan for Physical and Mental Excellence by Novak Djokovic – reviewed in Tennis Quick Tips Podcast 136
- Tennis Beyond Big Shots: The New Power Game – reviewed in Tennis Quick Tips Podcast 102
- Game, Set and Match: Secret Weapons of the World's Top Tennis Players – reviewed in Tennis Quick Tips Podcast 93
- Winning Ugly: Mental Warfare in Tennis – reviewed in Tennis Quick Tips Podcast 83
- The Best Tennis of Your Life: 50 Mental Strategies for Fearless Performance – reviewed in Tennis Quick Tips Podcast 74
- Arthur Ashe On Tennis: Strokes, Strategy, Traditions, Players, Psychology, and Wisdom – reviewed in Tennis Quick Tips Podcast 64
- The Inner Game of Tennis: The Classic Guide to the Mental Side of Peak Performance – reviewed in Tennis Quick Tips Podcast 53
And here's a link to my own book, packed with tennis tips and available in paperback and for the Kindle:
If you're looking for even more great gifts for tennis players, check out my 2016 holiday gift guides:
- Best Holiday Gifts for Tennis Players: 2016 Women's Edition
- Best Holiday Gifts for Tennis Players: 2016 Fitness Edition
- Best Holiday Gifts for Tennis Players: 2016 Stocking Stuffers
Please note – Some of the links in this post are affiliate links. You can check out my complete affiliate policy by clicking here: Advertising Policy and Liability Disclaimer.